This dish is iron rich recipe is weight watchers delight. Crispy baked tortilla chips and the tangy calcium rich tomato bean salsa make for a yummy, healthy treat, to be enjoyed occasionally by weight watchers.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Baking Time: 12 to 15 minutes. Baking Temperature: 200°C (400°F). Total Time: Makes 4 servings
For The Baked Tortilla Chips:
- 1/4 cup maize flour (makai ka atta)
- 2 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- plain flour (maida) for rolling
For The Tomato Bean Salsa:
- 1 1/2 cups blanched and finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soaked and boiled rajma (kidney beans)
- 1 tsp olive oil or oil
- 2 bayleaves
- 5 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
For The Garnish:
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions whites and greens
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling and lightly cook it on both the sides on a hot non-stick tava (griddle).
- Place it on a flat, dry surface and cut into 4 equal triangular pieces.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 12 more tortilla pieces.
- Place the tortilla pieces on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 7 to 8 minutes or until the tortilla chips turn crisp and light brown in colour. Keep aside.
For the tomato bean sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the bayleaves and peppercorns and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and tomato ketchup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rajma, sugar, salt, oregano and chilli flakes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Discard the peppercorns and bayleaves from the salsa and keep aside.
How to proceed?
- Place 4 tortilla chips on a serving plate and spread a little of the tomato bean salsa evenly over each tortilla chip.
- Repeat step 1 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately garnished with spring onions whites and greens.