Preparation time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Recipe type: snacks
Serves: 8 cutlets
Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml):
- 2 medium to large potatoes, 185 to 200 grams potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 2 teaspoon oil for cooking mushrooms
- 1 small onion, 30 grams or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves and ½ inch ginger crushed to a paste in mortar pestle
- 2.25 to 2.5 cups chopped white button mushrooms or 200 grams mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder/jeera powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon besan/gram flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or parsley
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon sooji/rava/cream of wheat
- 3 tablespoon oil for frying cutlets
How to make the recipe?
- Firstly, boil or steam 2 medium to large potatoes (about 185 to 200 grams). you can cook potatoes in a pan or a pressure cooker. i usually steam them in a electric cooker or pressure cooker. for pressure cooking, add 1.5 cups water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 minutes or 4 to 5 whistles on a medium flame. also add ¼ tsp salt while pressure cooking. the potatoes should be completely softened and well cooked.
- Drain the water and take the cooked potatoes in a mixing bowl. let them become warm. peel and mash them with a potato masher or fork. keep the mashed potatoes aside.
- When the potatoes are cooking, rinse or wipe 200 grams button mushrooms. chop them finely, but not very finely, as we want their chunky texture in the cutlets. Keep aside.
- Chop 1 small onion and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add ¼ cup finely chopped onion.
- Stir and saute the onions for two minutes.
- Then, add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add the chopped mushrooms.
- On a medium flame saute the mushrooms. the mushrooms would release a lot of water first.
- Continue to cook till all the water evaporates and the mixture becomes dry.
- Lower the flame and then add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder.
- Mix the spices with the mushrooms.
- Season with salt as per taste.
- Keep the flame to low and add 2 tbsp besan or gram flour.
- Mix the besan and saute for a minute stirring continuously. instead of besan, you can also use rice flour or corn starch. if using rice flour or corn starch, then add them at step 19 when the mixture has cooled down and mix well.
- Switch off the flame. then add 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or parsley. mix again.
- Now, add this mushroom mixture to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix everything very well. check the taste and add more salt or spices if required. allow this mixture to cool down. otherwise the patties absorb a lot of oil while cooking. if not making immediately, you can also refrigerate or freeze for some hours, overnight or for 1 to 2 days.
Preparing and frying cutlets:
- When the mixture has cooled down, make small to medium sized balls and flatten them. keep aside. Take 1 tbsp rava or sooji/cream of wheat in a plate. coat the patties with the rava. dust off the excess rava and keep aside. instead of rava you can also use bread crumbs or rice flour for coating. you can even make a paste of gram flour. coat the patties in the gram flour paste and then coat them with rava or bread crumbs and then fry. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a tawa or a frying pan. do use a thick bottomed pan or tawa. When the oil becomes medium hot, place the cutlets on it. When one side becomes crisp and golden, flip each cutlet and fry the other side. Flip once or twice to get a even colored golden crust and for even cooking. Once done, remove and place them on paper kitchen towels. Serve mushroom cutlet hot or warm plain with a chutney or sauce. you can also make sandwiches, burgers or wraps with these mushroom cutlets.