- Chawal (Rice) – 2 glasses/ ½ kg [soaked for 1 hour]
- Matar (Peas) – 1 cup
- Piyaz (Onion) – 1 medium
- Sabz mirchen (Green chillies) – 5-6
- Sabut laal mirchen (Whole red chillies) – 15-16
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Darchini (Cinnamon sticks) – 2-3 pieces
- Bari elaichi (Black cardamom) – 1
- Sabut kali mirchen (Whole black pepper) – 15-20
- Namak (Salt) – 1 tsp [for gravy]
- Namak (Salt) – 2 tsp heaped [for rice]
- Oil – ½ cup
- Pani (Water) – 2¾ glasses
Step 1: Add Oil, Piyaz (Onion), and cook till golden. Add Sabut kali mirchen (Whole black pepper), Bari elaichi (Black cardamom), Zeera (Cumin seeds), Darchini (Cinnamon sticks), Sabut laal mirchen (Whole red chillies) [8-10] and mix. Cut remaining Sabut laal mirchen (Whole red chillies) and then mix to the mixture.
Step 2: Add Sabz mirchen (Green chillies), Namak (Salt) [1 tsp], Pani (Water) [1-2 tbs] and cook till the oil separates. Add Matar (Peas) and mix for 20 seconds.
Step 3: Add Pani (Water), Namak (Salt), mix, cover, and cook at medium-low flame till water boils. Add Chawal (Rice), mix, and cook at medium flame till water is reduced (3-4 minutes). Cover and cook at low flame for 8-10 minutes.
Serve with Green raita.